Home Community Sunday Gospel Thoughts September 26, 2021, 26th Ordinary Sunday

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Phrogge
    Keymaster

Gospel
    Mk 9:38-43, 45, 47-48
    At that time, John said to Jesus,
    “Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name,
    and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us.”
    Jesus replied, “Do not prevent him.
    There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name
    who can at the same time speak ill of me.
    For whoever is not against us is for us.
    Anyone who gives you a cup of water to drink
    because you belong to Christ,
    amen, I say to you, will surely not lose his reward.
    “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin,
    it would be better for him if a great millstone
    were put around his neck
    and he were thrown into the sea.
    If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off.
    It is better for you to enter into life maimed
    than with two hands to go into Gehenna,
    into the unquenchable fire.
    And if your foot causes you to sin, cut if off.
    It is better for you to enter into life crippled
    than with two feet to be thrown into Gehenna.
    And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out.
    Better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye
    than with two eyes to be thrown into Gehenna,
    where ‘their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.'”

• This topic was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Phrogge.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Phrogge.
    Phrogge
    Keymaster

Among other things in this Story Jesus is telling his followers that he is not like a cop who is enforcing rules and looking for violators. He is not running an exclusive club that is open only to folks who keep all the rules and use only the approved language. He is interested in teaching and healing, and this is what he wants his followers to do too.

If I am serious about really doing my best to follow Jesus in my life, the Story is reminding me to continually look at my motives and goals. Is what I do about Jesus and his folks, or is it really about me and my comfort? Am I open to the Spirit reminding me of what Jesus is teaching me about being his disciple, perhaps in the process learning things about myself that I don’t want to know? How much do I judge others as to whether they are “orthodox”, or agree with me and think as I think they should? How much is about me, and how much is about the Spirit? Am I willing to learn, am I still wrapped up in the comfort and security of answers? Do I practice what I preach?

With three separate, distinct, and greatly different communities I am celebrating Eucharist with this weekend, how open am I really to letting the Spirit guide me perhaps indirections I can’t fathom now, since I can’t seem to organize any thoughts for the homilies? Am I interested in learning along with the folks, or is my focus on being a character, on standing out as different, or being unusual? I just don’t know.

Then, also, there is the request from a former student of a long time ago, to spend some time together tomorrow evening. I just don’t want to do it, and I gave a lame excuse about being worn out after masses, which is true, but a cop out. That was then, this is now. She is a combat vet, so my role as chaplain is to see her.
    But I just don’t want to.

Not sure where to go with all this. I’ll just stop now and go get a flu shot at the VA.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Phrogge.
    Phrogge
    Keymaster

Along the lines of the above:
    Breaking Through
    Too often I decide what my life should be and whether there is room in it for You while You sit in a deeper place within me, wondering what it will take for me to make more of all the things in my life—the good and the bad—and so learn to break through to find You in all that is and let You take form in me in all that I was and am and will be.”
    Moister Eckhart

Steve Karthan
    Participant

Padre,

We are all still human…doesn’t sound like you to make excuses…maybe you need a rest. I feel if we are honest with people, they will understand. Happened to me this week too. We are going to get together this week instead. Thanks for the continual Insights on the gospels! Look forward to each week and have been spiritually more active…Thanks!

Steve

Phrogge
    Keymaster

Steve, thanks for the kind words. What I wrote was one example of how to see the Gospel saying something to me in real life setting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.