Home Community Sunday Gospel Thoughts September 19, 2021,Twenty-fifth Ordinary Sunday

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Phrogge
    Keymaster

— Read the Gospel Passage slowly and prayerfully, perhaps several times over a few days.

— Let the Story speak to you in your own life, and don’t try to force a meaning, eg, the Story has always meant only such-and-such.

— Ask “What are you trying to say to me?” in your own life here and now, with whatever is going on in your life.

— Be ready to be surprised.

— If you feel comfortable please write your thoughts as a reply using the “submit” button below.

Gospel
    Mk 9:30-37
    Jesus and his disciples left from there and began a journey through Galilee,
    but he did not wish anyone to know about it.
    He was teaching his disciples and telling them,
    “The Son of Man is to be handed over to men
    and they will kill him,
    and three days after his death the Son of Man will rise.”
    But they did not understand the saying,
    and they were afraid to question him.
    They came to Capernaum and, once inside the house,
    he began to ask them,
    “What were you arguing about on the way?”
    But they remained silent.
    They had been discussing among themselves on the way
    who was the greatest.
    Then he sat down, called the Twelve, and said to them,
    “If anyone wishes to be first,
    he shall be the last of all and the servant of all.”
    Taking a child, he placed it in the their midst,
    and putting his arms around it, he said to them,
    “Whoever receives one child such as this in my name, receives me;
    and whoever receives me,
    receives not me but the One who sent me.”

Phrogge
    Keymaster

“Too often I decide what my
    life should be and whether

there is room in it for You
    while You sit in a deeper

place within me, wondering
    what it will take for me to

make more of all the things
    in my life — the good and

the bad — and so learn to
    break through to find You

in all that is and let You
    take form in me in all that

I was and am and will be.”

Paraphrase of Meister Eckhart, 13 cent German Mystic.

Sherri Buck
    Participant

For some reason I feel like there are so many stories where Jesus becomes the “dad” of the group. “What are you arguing about”? I think when Jesus explains what needs to happen, He lets the apostles talk amount themselves, not interrupting their argument but fully aware. I almost feel as the the they kids arguing well your the “greatest” you ask, he likes you better, your His favorite! Reminds me again of my own kids afraid to be the one to ask a question where they are “supposed” to know the answer.

When Jesus picks up a child and tells them by tevieving a child you recieve him as well as the one who sends Him. Maybe the child is the best way for Jesus to explain, (especially in those days) the uncertainty of when somebody’s gets pregnant. They receive it and don’t ask questions. And that is what he is trying to explain. Receive what God gives you. Very much as Mary did the same. She accepted and received Christ!

Phrogge
    Keymaster

Sherri, what you wrote above and the way you wrote it is a good argument for women giving homilies and being ordained. No male could have discerned your insight or said it with the wisdom and class that you did.

Phrogge
    Keymaster

In the Story Jesus is trying to get his disciples to understand that following him is not a matter of prestige or power, but one of openness and compassion, of being with folks in their difficult times, of knowing God in our own lives so we can help folks be aware of God in their lives.The openness is to the Spirit who continuously offers us insight to what it means for us to love as Jesus’ followers in our lives here and now.

Pope Francis is trying to move the church in the direction of being pastoral instead of law enforcement, and he is getting a lot of push back from bishops in the United States. The role of any who would be Jesus’ followers is to walk with folks as they make their difficult decisions, not beat them up with the rule book. He is not changing doctrine, but moving the Church to pastoral accompaniment.

Following Jesus is not an exclusive club. Jesus spent time with any who came to him, and helped them see God loving them in their life. As happens today, some folks just could not accept this. As it was with Jesus, the Holy Spirit has no boundaries or limits.

As we go through life we are constantly changing how we see things, adjusting to our reality whatever it is. Yet many of us still hold on to the idea of God being a judge and punisher that we learned as children. Trusting in the Spirit is frightening to some.

Phrogge
    Keymaster

Just came across these this morning from Meister Eckhart:

A Soul Digests —
    Each of us has a soul
    made to grasp the One
    who made every one,
    body and soul.
    Slowly and deliberately,
    as bodies digest, the soul’s powers
    move and nourish us.
    As the body grows, the soul’s powers
    grow inside us.
    As my eyes learn to see,
    in light and all detail, the soul
    finds its power to think and see.

The Way Love Is —
    You are love in everything
    that is, and it belongs to

the perfection of Your greatness
    that not even my nothingness

is far from You, for You
    meet me in my imperfection

and You act on me not from
    the distance of my failings

but from the presence
    of Your perfection which

is the way love is.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.