Home Community Sunday Gospel Thoughts September 5, 2021, Twenty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time Reply To: September 5, 2021, Twenty-third Sunday in Ordinary Time

Sherri Buck
Participant

While raising my children, I often found the more their sister or brothers said to stop doing something, the more they did it. I actually laughed out loud when I read the statement “but the more he ordered them not to, the more they proclaimed it”. I’m not sure why I found it so funny, I mean it’s Jesus right? We should listen to Him! But today as I read this I thought, “you go Jesus…. Way to use reverse psychology!”

On a more serious note, I do know and believe Jesus performed miracles. Many more than what we see in written word. But praying about this gospel, I feel like this is a lot more than a single miracle. This is a miracle that he performed on the followers. While he took the man aside and restored his hearing and his speech, he also open the ears and the voice of all the people. While the mans faith in God healed him, Jesus was the “creator” of that miracle. Today, He opens our ears to hear Him, whether it be through the gospel, our neighbors or our enemies. We need to ask that our ears be open to hear His word in our daily life. We need to be the voice that is no longer speechless to express our knowledge, to allow the spirit to use us to spread the word.

In today’s time, it’s easy to look the other way. Condone not having empathy to our brothers and sisters. We need to pray that Jesus will perform a miracle on us to hear His message coming from others. It’s easy to “pick sides”, but it is imperative we listen to each other’s message. These are messages provided by a “healed” voice, that are landing in once deaf ears.

While I believe this miracle happen, I believe this miracle still happens today.

Gods blessing to all.