Home Community Sunday Gospel Thoughts August 15, 2021, Assumption of Mary Reply To: August 15, 2021, Assumption of Mary

Phrogge
Keymaster

Perhaps we might look at what prayer is for us. There are probably as many understandings of prayer as there are persons who pray. For me prayer is a relationship, an ongoing conversation that happens in varying degrees. Right now is one of those times when this is especially true. Often it is hard to describe but easy to experience.

After her prayer experience of what we call the Annunciation, Mary journeyed to Elizabeth, as we hear in the Story. I wonder where my prayer will move me to journey next. While I believe that prayer moves us to where and to whom we need to be, sometimes I wish it would not happen. Prayer involves, at least for me, a journey of letting go, of moving beyond my comfort zone. Sometimes I would like to just stay comfortable.

Then there is the pervading issue of doubting and questioning while things are actually happening — am I doing the “right thing” here? Do I really want to get involved? Does anybody really care what I think? IMHO these reflect healthy questioning.

I have a friend who is doing something-or-other in the US Embassy in Kabul. The news isn’t good, and all I can do is prayer as an attitude. I know prayer is important to him too.

I am also praying about my homily for mass this evening. I’ve been working on it for days, and today for hours sitting on my balcony since sunup. I have no idea what I am going to say. I am also wondering whether or not to go downstairs for bagels and donuts with some of the other residents.

Prayer is a relationship that happens in the setting of everything that is going on in my life at any given time. And I do believe that the Lord’s words to me will be fulfilled, whatever those words are, and I really don’t know what they are.

I’m taking a chance writing this for 2 of my former “students”. Not sure why, but it seems right. I’ll probably share this with a few others,too. Again, I’m not sure why.

Yes to what is, I think.